Search Pinoy Tech Buzz

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mayweather vs Pacquiao: Twitter fans weigh in

A day after Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s complete domination of Juan Manuel Marquez, subscribers to the popular microblogging service Twitter urged boxing promoters to finally seal a money fight between "Money" Mayweather and the current pound-for-pound champ Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao.

A Reuters article noted that Mayweather's victory over Marquez left a feeling of dissatisfaction after many noted that the American was several pounds heavier than his opponent. "Marquez weighed in at 148 moments before the fight but Mayweather, cynically although probably rather shrewdly, refused to disclose his own weight," the Reuters story said.

Clamor for a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight has grown steadily after the American's victory over the Mexican pugilist. Even Mayweather acknowledged that boxing fans want to see him fight Pacquiao but declined to commit himself to the bout.

"People say Pacquiao is number one. I don't have to rate myself. I know what I can do. Pound-for-pound is an opinion. I was a professional for 11 years, and I was a world champion for 10 years. I went away for two years, came back, I fought the number two fighter. I didn't rate him, they did. I am a critic of myself. I want to be the best I can be," he said.

In a Twitter thread Monday, film23jay @surroundsoundud noted: "I want [Mayweather] to fight Pacquiao. I want Mayweather to whoop his ass. I'm not a Pacquiao fan. He's overhyped."

Tcomputer RT @BoxingDawg also commented: "I know this will bother the Mayweather-haters out there, but Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the best pound-for-pound boxer. I know Freddie Roach won't admit this, but the only boxer that can possibly beat Mayweather is [Shane] Mosley -- and not Pacquiao."

"With that, I cannot see Mayweather ever wanting to fight Mosley. He'll fight Pacquiao next. That's if Manny gets past [Miguel] Cotto," he added.

Pacquiaovs noted that there were "real danger signs for Manny Pacquiao from Floyd Mayweather." Another tweet from maniark read: "I have never seen a more complete fighter than Floyd Mayweather on early Sunday morning. Superb dismantling of Marquez!"

Enishiate, who watched the fight a day late, said he was dissatisfied with the bout. "Finally got a chance to watch the Mayweather/Marquez fight. Very anti-climatic but just shows how surreal Floyd really is."

ClintonV noted that while everyone is talking about Pacman-Mayweather, "Pacman has the small matter of Miguel Cotto to get past. He's bigger and can bang. Dangerous."

One Pacquiao fan, however, said he wants the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight to happen soon. "Just hope that our own Pacman shuts up Money Mayweather," posted Twitter fan champie08.

No comments:

Post a Comment